Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sanding and Sewing (and a little consulting!)


Although our DT kits contained this awesome cardstock by Coordinations Cardstock this month - the navy and teal combination in my kit just didn't fit with the pinks and oranges of the MME Bloom and Grow Patterned paper I planned to use for my two-page layout. But I just love this two-color cardstock Coordination's product, so I went by Scrapbooks-Plus and purchased this same cool cardstock in the White Wash color line - the one I chose was pink on one side and with a white finish on the other. Perfect! (I'll save the navy/teal combo for something else later!!)

For this layout of our recent trip to the Virgin Islands, I used the Pink/White Wash cardstock and set to work in sanding, tearing and otherwise distressing the heck out of the white side of the paper to get the pink to bleed through. I also wanted the edges to sit up a bit, and they just wouldn't do that with Glue, so I broke out the sewing machine to really nail them down. This way, when I went to "rough them up", they weren't tearing off the page. More perfection!

I had this great sunset shot from Anegada that fit the color scheme and made the decision to have that as the focal photo. I made all the other photos black and white because the colors were all over the map (would definitely not work together). I used a second color photo of my husband and I in a supporting role. But the layout seemed bland. So I took it by Scrapbooks-Plus and consulted Misty and Debbie - they had just the answer - flowers by Flora Doodles and ric-rac. I also added pink staples to some of the photos, a few candy dots, some scraps cut with decorative scissors and a little bling. Just what the layout needed. (And you'll be seeing more of these Flora Doodle flowers in next months' projects!).
If you have a layout that isn't just working for you, bring it by the store. One of the consultants there will be more than happy to help you with those final touches that will make your work shine.

3 comments:

Misty Rose said...

It turned out so beautiful Sharon. I am so glad that you added to it...Now it looks like one of your masterpieces :)

matushka said...

Love the texture you added. Beautiful layout!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

This month you hit it out of the park with your layouts - the way you combine so many different papers and elements blows me away. Reminder to self - take out the sewing machine and "rough up" my layouts!