Monday, April 27, 2009

Butterflies at Seventy-Five

I made this little mini-album to give to my Aunt Dickle (yes that is her name!) to commerate her surprise 75th birthday party. This cute little butterfly accordian book by Maya Road is actually two books - one chipboard, the other acrylic - merged into one. I took them apart with needle-nosed pliers in order to alternate chip board and acrylic pages (much like SueB did in her Wassail album class this past January). I can use the remaining pages for another project.


I used three different colored Staz-on inks to distress the edges of the chip board pages and to tint the edges of the acrylic. I created a template for each page style and traced the MME papers to cover the center. Each photo was punched with a Marvey scalloped oval punch and matted on a scrap of MME paper cut with a slightly larger punch. I bought the full set of oval scalloped punches at Scrapbooks-Plus and use them ALL THE TIME!!!


I painted the "cover" with green scrapbook paint from Making Memories then sprayed it with a little Glimmer Mist to get the sheen that I wanted. After it dried, I put the album back together with my needle-nosed pliers - which was much more difficult than taking it apart as I have some serious coordination issues!
For the finishing touches, I inked the edges of those totally cool Heidi Swapp super-sized foam letters and placed them a little off the cover's center so I could wrap a ribbon around the middle to hold the whole thing together.
This was one of the fastest Mini books I have ever made--not too many pages and a page size small enough that there wasn't room to get all wrapped up in embellishing every page to death.








2 comments:

Esther said...

That is so cute. I like butterflies. Your aunt will enjoy the work you put inot making something special just for her.

matushka said...

This is so very cute... and a great idea to mix up the pages!