Monday, July 20, 2009

Quick Tip: Punching Notches Just Right

I am a big fan of layouts that feature those cute little partial circles punched out of the photo or patterned paper with a little circular accent inside. I love how you can see the background in that spot and how it very easily adds visual interest without adding any bulk. I'm not sure who started it first... but I know that I latched onto it after seeing it on Ali Edward's layouts. Her clean style really appeals to me.

When I first tried copying this technique, I had mixed results. More than a few times I botched my placement of my punched notch ... too far in or a little to the right... (I'm not much of a measurer after all) and had to adapt my layout to make it work. Now when I use this technique, I always get the placement right and it's so easy I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier!

First, punch all of your circles, including one circle punched from scrap paper or cardstock the size of your punched notch. Lay them out on your layout for placement, then glue your notch-sized circle to your layout only on the portion that will be punched away. On this layout that is my photo. Don't put adhesive on the part that touches the background cardstock or use repositionable adhesive for this step. Then you just pick up the photo and punch your notch using your circle as your guide.
Voila! Perfect placement everytime! I cut a little cupcake out of the Doodlebug paper to decorate my circle accent. Those little cupcakes are too cute!



Here the finished layout. The glitter paper I used was left over from last month's kit and worked perfectly with these papers. Plus there are some other great colors available... I've picked up several as they were too pretty to resist! :)




Thanks for stopping by!
erin

No comments: