Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Creative Process...

Last night a few fellow scrapbookers and myself were chatting about different scrap related things and it got me thinking about my creative process. I know some people can sit down with some pretty paper, adhesive and embellishments and create the most beautiful pages. I unfortunately am not one of those people. Let me explain it isn’t like I don’t think I create a nice layout from time to time, but I just can’t do with those above mentioned tools. I NEED PICTURES first then the pretty paper, and embellishments!

I cannot even begin to make a layout that I like if I don’t have pictures to start my creative process. I have tried several times and I end up not liking my layouts at all. I also have tried to use photos that I don’t like but are just photos to get a layout completed and when that happens I am not happy with the end result either. I have been really struggling with creating lately and it wasn’t until we had this conversation last night that I realized it was because I haven’t been taking pictures lately. I haven’t been paying enough attention to my world around me. Pictures inspire me, why do I fight this?

This creativity block goes beyond layouts. In fact it basically flows over to anything that I would use pictures on; layouts, mini books, altered projects, etc. I have seen some beautiful classes put together by some very talented designers, but I don’t even bother taking these classes because without pictures included for me to get the full effect I just can’t commit. I know the argument is used that the students don’t want to see the instructors photos but I say, “SHOW ME THE PICTURES.” Am I the only person who thinks or creates like this?

So, I ask you what is your creative process? Have you played around with a few ways to see which one is more natural for you or are you trying to do what you think you should do? That is the beautiful thing about creating, there is no right or wrong!

Since no post is complete without a pictures, I leave you with a beautiful picture that definitely inspires me!




Have a great day!


p..s. Are you playing along with us this month? If not, please stop by the store and pick up a few things – we can’t wait to see what you create!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am inspired by you Kim...you bring inspiration to my day everyday with your good morning!

Angela said...

I love that picture. I cant wait to see how you scrapbook it!

I also need pictures first. Its so hard to work the reverse. I admire those who can - its just not me!

Anonymous said...

Angela, inspires me too...she is freaking amazing...and I can't wait to take her sun surf and sand book!

Skye said...

I just designed my July kit challenge layout without pictures. It went well- I just hope the photos look good where I want them! I agree, it's definitely easier if you have photos to put in front of you, place on the papers and see how they would look- that way you are really focusing on designing your layout to show off your pictures.