Sunday, July 19, 2009

"FIxing" Your Designs

Ever have an idea for a page in your head that you think will be just too cool, and when you go to put it together, it just doesn't come out the way you expected? That's exactly what happened when I put this one-pager together. I thought I knew how it would look, but when I got into it, it just wasn't what I had hoped for. It had absolutely nothing to do with the gorgeous paper I selected from the kit - it had everything to do with the design! I thought the strip of birthday present paper wouldn't look so pronounced, but it did all by itself in the middle of the page, so to tone it down, I "wrapped" a present with Best Creations glitter paper and some sheer ribbon to de-emphasize the strip a bit. I didn't like the black strip in the middle once I had the layout together, but instead of starting all over again (I didn't want to waste the paper OR the photos), I added the eyelets and used the pink embroidery thread to give the black a little "umpf". I put the entire thing down for a couple of days and when I came back to it, I added a little more-the bling around the circular photo, the hand-cut present at the title, and redid the journalling to add the number "50". Lesson learned: Sometimes you can fix a layout you don't like at first with a little time, imagination, and patience.


No comments: