Thursday, July 2, 2009

Details, Details, Details...an Apology...& a Project!

First, let me say how happy we are that we are already getting such a great response to our new Design Team Monthly Challenge.
Second, let me apologize for not being as prepared as I should have been! I know that some of our excited blog followers have already hit the store in search of the new papers only to be disappointed that they were not yet out for purchase. Let me explain that the DT traditionally has a get together where we switch out our projects on "The Wall" and we also put out all the elements of that month's kit at the same time. For July, we chose to get together at 6pm on the 1st, so you early bird shoppers beat us to the store! I promise to be better next month about letting you know exactly when the new papers will be available!
Third, I have more specific information that I hope will answer any questions that have come up about the challenge: We have not assembled a kit. Instead, you are able to look over all of the materials that we had in our DT kit, and then choose which items you would like to purchase to create your project. Some of you may fall in love with the pretty pastels in the Cupcake line from Doodle Bug, while others may gravitate to the bold primaries in the BoBunny papers OR the shimmer & glitter of the KI papers. Let me tell you that Leah gave us so many great birthday-themed papers to choose from that there is something for everyone!

Remember when your project is ready, just leave a comment on Leah's post where she reveals the July Kit and tell us where we can go and see your creative genius! (OR you can email a picture of your project to debbie@scrapbooks-plus.com ) The winner will be awarded a Scrapbooks Plus gift certificate and the layout will be featured on our blog! (If you want to review the rules, this link will take you to my original post inviting you to play along!)

And finally, let me share something I made using this month's kit!


The papers all have a birthday theme, so I decided to make party hats - actually, party visors. (Many thanks to my models, Erin and Adrianna.)








Basically, I bought a .99 foam visor and used it as a pattern.

I used a circle punch (about 3/4" diameter) to create a scalloped border.









Then I inked the edge of the cupcake paper from Doodlebug before I adhered it to the top.

.
.


I used my crop-o-dile to punch holes through all layers and set some eyelets, then I threaded beading elastic through the holes and used square knots to tie it off.

I think it turned out pretty cute!



It was so fun and easy I decided to make another one with the BoBunny papers - but this one has a little twist - it is also an invitation!
The BoBunny paper is actually very sturdy, double-sided cardstock, so it did not need to be lined. I created the fancy edge by adhering some red ric-rac (I used Glossy Accents as a glue because it happened to be handy and it worked great!)
.
But where is the invitation? Well, the medallion on the center of the visor is actually a flap that opens to reveal the details. How did I make it? Easy...


I folded a double thickness of cardstock and placed it on top of the cutting die, but left one edge peeking out - see it at the bottom?
.
.
.
.
After cutting you can see that edge is flat.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
When you open it, you can see how it is connected at that point.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Then I decorated the front with a "Party!" sticker from BoBunny and added party details to the inside. Red line tape holds it on the front of the visor and a brad and a photo turn holds the flap closed.
I plan on making some of these up to use as invitations to a Jimmy Buffet party later this summer! I know they are a little big to mail, but if one of these showed up on your desk or your doorstep, wouldn't you just have to come?!?!?
.
Party On, Dude! (tell me somebody gets that film reference from one of my favorite movies...)
I hope to see you around the store and I look forward to seeing what you can create! Have fun with the Challenge! Susie

3 comments:

Misty Rose said...

Party On Dude! ...is that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Nope! But that is a really good guess. Here's another one from the same movie..
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

Anyone?

matushka said...

This is SO stinkin' cute! I didn't notice, but Adrianna and I color coordinate with the visor we are modeling... who knew?

... and if I received one of these, I would definitely come to whatever the event was - even Jimmy, and I'm NOT a fan! :)

We'll do better next month, for sure! It's good to know that we have strong, but silent readers out there!