Saturday, April 3, 2010

Make Sketches Work For You!

Each month we get a sketch to use for one of our layouts. Here is this month's sketch:





As I was working on other projects and checking out digital scrapbooking supplies I came across these filmstrip borders from Shimelle. The idea to replace the long strips in the sketch with a filmstrip row popped into my brain and I ran with it. The filmstrip wasn't "stretchable"... so I decided take the 12 by 12 sketch and make and 8 1/2 by 11 page from it. Since the page was smaller, I had to simplify just a bit and eliminate some of the background blocking and one of the circular accents. I was stuck on the large circle... I kept trying to find a photo that I could crop without losing any of the details I wanted to show. I couldn't find anything that I was happy with - but then I realized that I didn't have to use a circular photo - it's not like the sketch police were going to come and get me or anything.... so I cut a large circle from patterned paper and used it as my photo mat. Problem solved!





I accented the photo with a lovely Prima blossom and some Kaisercraft bling. I used the new Bazzil bling template to get the swirl just right. It was so easy and fast! You just lay down the template, hold it in place, and stick a jewel in each hole. Lift up and template and you're done! (the largest size of jewels in the Kaisercraft package won't fit through the holes, but the medium size was perfect!)



thanks for stopping by!
erin

2 comments:

Karen Bearse said...

Great idea using the circle, love it.

Esther said...

I like the film strip in a color rather than black.