Monday, March 16, 2009

What Am I Supposed to Say? -- Loretta Cooper

Okay, be honest. You really do want your grand kids and great grand kids to think you (were) cool. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't bother creating meaningful scrapbooks. Right?



Perhaps you subscribe to the ol' "a picture paints a thousand words" theory, and therefore, don't bother with journaling. Or maybe the idea of trying to match words to your feelings and experiences is just overwhelming. I hear a lot of scrappers say that the most difficult part of the craft, is journaling. It doesn't have to be.



I have inherited scrapbooks and photo albums from both of my grandmothers. 'Know what I treasure even more than the photos? The bits and pieces of their lives I find stashed between the pages; shopping lists, receipts, birth announcements. I even found handwritten budgets my grandmother made for herself while my gradfather was dying in a Texas hospital in the 1930s.



These are mudane and amazing bits of their real lives. They touch me deeply, surprise me, and help me to understand what their lives were really like. I love these women even more as I learn about the trivialites they delt with, and the challenges they boldly faced.



Keep that in mind the next time you try to decide what to journal. It doesn't have to be profound or life changing... just real!



Happy Journaling!

Loretta

3 comments:

Kim said...

I am so bad at journaling, thanks for the advice!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

You are right - I don't have to be a wordsmith on every scrapbook page. Real is good - my kids don't like it if I am too sentimental or effusive anyway. I try to write the way I talk.

matushka said...

I was in Houston this week for my grandmother's funeral and worked on a simple scrapbook to display. In the process I discovered that she was even more of a picture taker and journaler than I had previously realized. I found a picture that she wrote regular stuff on the back: the date and place. Later on she went back and wrote that this was the last picture she took of her dear Alfred (my grandfather) in July 1994. She couldn't believe that she hadn't taken a picture of him on his birthday that year or at Christmastime and how sad it made her. It was so touching to read her note... and it proves that you can always add a bit of journaling or a note to the back of your layout later on. The important part is too just write it down!

erin