Saturday, March 7, 2009

Room with a View


Basic Grey's MARRAKECH paper really took me back to Hawaii this month (or maybe is just the fact that Spring break is just a week away and I need to catch up on last year's Spring break scrappin' before I get even further behind!)

For this layout, I hand cut elements from Masala Bella paper to create a half frame for the focal photo of the gorgeous view of the Hanalei Bay and Bali Hai peak - the first one in the Napali chain. The design itself was inspired (sort of) from a layout by Nic Howard (love her work!). What I thought was so cool about her design was the handcut "file folder" mat under the smaller photo with the tab providing just enough space for a caption. So I just had to recreate that element in my design. (I could have added more journaling in the file folder under the photo if I wanted to). For the journaling, I printed it on cream cardstock, cuts the lines out and inked them with "Blue Moon" Powder Puff Chalk ink from Quick Quotes. The navy "brads" that highlight the second line of journalling are not brads at all - they are Candy Dots by Pebbles Inc., and are available in a host of colors - black, white, green, red, etc. - you can find them in the NEW section at Scrapbooks-Plus. They are my new best friend - I've been using them like crazy in my layouts these past two weeks - They look like brads - without having to poke any holes - and really stick. Love 'em!
The scalloped edge paper behind the photos was cut using a Fiskars template and their shape cutter. I bought both at Scrapbooks-Plus.

5 comments:

Lisa H said...

This LO is beautiful! I just got some of the Candy Dots- can't wait to use them.

matushka said...

I love all the layers here... especially the doubled over flower! Fabulous!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Gorgeous - I love the way you ink everything! What color did you use?

SharonVM said...

I used Blue Moon Powder Puff chalk ink from Quick Quotes - I even used it to color the chipboard letters (Basic Grey mini monos)

Coffee said...

I absolutely love this layout!!! You did an awesome job, I love all the layers. I may just be scraplifting this one. :-)