Sunday, March 8, 2009

Basic Grey Marrakech Working with BIG Prints -- Loretta Cooper


If you are anything like me, you adore printed paper. I have enough printed paper in my stash to complete albums for the next 10 generations. (And I'm always in the market for more....)

But sometimes, working with printed paper can present a challenge. especially if the prints are big and bold like Basic Grey's new Marrakech.

It's easy to let those gorgeous prints steal the stage from the real focal point; your photos. So here are a few tips that I've learned about working with printed paper, without upstaging those family faces.

1. More is Less. It's true in life, it's true when in comes to printed paper. If you want to indulge is big prints and bright colors, use them sparingly. You can actually play up the print more if you use less.

2. Balance it out with Card Stock. Next time you are at Scrapbooks Plus, and are turning cartwheels over the latest Basic Grey, Cosmo Cricket, or Wild Asparagus prints (a few of my faves!) head immediately to the back and collect coordinating solid card stock. And don't just go for the deep hues. Sometimes a neutral shade will make that print pop!


3. Create Your Own Matching Embellishments. Because I love prints so much, I am always looking for new ways to add it to my layouts, without overpowering my photos. One of my favorite tricks is to pick the prettiest part of the print, (or the part that best matches my theme) and turn it into a one of a kind chipboard embellishment.
Just glue it onto a piece of cardboard (I highly recommend using ZipDry, Debbie always keeps it in stock!) and cut around it by hand. It doesn't have to be perfect. Then use a file to knock down weird angles or the uneven parts. Finish it off by inking around the edges in a coordinating, darker shade.

Happy Scrapping!
Loretta

4 comments:

Misty Rose said...

I love that little pumpkin...I am going to have to remember that when I do my pumpkin patch pictures!

matushka said...

I love how you fit so many pics in your photo block... and the one pic that hangs out! :)

Lisa H said...

I really like your LOs. I saved some of the paper from the kit to do my fall pictures with!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Love how you fill the empty space in the family picture with the title...and used 2 different fonts for interest. Excellent!