Friday, October 24, 2008

Tutorial: Quick & Easy Scalloped Edges

I love the scalloped edge trend that is so popular these days. I even got my scalloped edge scissors out of their case on the "retirement" shelf of my scrap closet so I could add the edge to more projects. Here's an example of how I used this trend recently on one of my projects:


There are several ways to add scalloped edges to your pages. Here are just a couple that I use on my own projects:

1. Use a Scalloped Border Punch or Scalloped Edge Scissors: both these methods work well. I don't have a scalloped border punch (I want one, though!), but I do use these scalloped edge scissors pretty frequently:


To make sure my scalloped edge is straight, I turn the paper I'm going to use over to the reverse side and draw a straight line with a ruler and a pen or pencil. Then I cut along the line so my scalloped edge comes out perfectly straight every time!

I have two sizes of scalloped edge scissors: small and really small. This limits the size of my scallops. Which is why I had to use a different method for the larger scallops on my card.

2. Use a Circle Punch to Create a Scalloped Edge: I first saw this technique used by Kristina Werner on her "Simple Mother's Day Card" video. She makes beautiful cards and posts tutorials of the process on her fabulous blog. Ever since I saw her use this technique I have been in love with it and using it everywhere. I wanted to share it with all of you because it is so versatile!

Very simply, you just use a circle punch (any size!) to punch out several circles from a sheet of cardstock or patterned paper.



Then run a line of glue on the reverse of the paper you'd like to have a scalloped edge. Starting in the center, glue the circles onto the paper so that they are half on and half off the paper. Sometimes you might need to make some adjustments to get them all aligned perfectly, so don't press them down hard into the adhesive until you're sure they're exactly where you want them.



When you turn it over, you will have a beautiful scalloped edge showing! And, if you'd like to save paper, or if you decide you want a scalloped edge after you've already glued down your paper (which happens to me all the time), you can cut the circles in half and glue them in a row along the edge of a sheet of paper that has already been adhered to your project.

This is a quick and easy way to add scallops of any size to your projects. I hope you have fun playing with this technique as I do!

No comments: