Thursday, October 2, 2008

Glitter and flocking

I have to admit I love to use glitter and now after seeing Sharon's LO from last month I am hooked on flocking! The only thing I can't stand? When the glitter/flocking gets all over everything it's not supposed to on the page! It drives me crazy. So I have a quick (and easy) tip on how to keep the glitter/flock in place- it's hairspray. I do have to admit I didn't come up with the idea- I learned it in a class that I took about a year ago and I have used it ever since! The hairspray isn't acid/ligin free you will only want to use it on items that don't come in direct contact with your pictures.


In the photo above I simply took a piece of scrap chipboard that I had and die cut out a scroll. I then covered it with Black Soot Distress Ink by Tim Holtz (I used this ink simply because it is slow drying and I was using Beetle Black flocking by Doodlebug) and sprinkled a generous amount of the flocking over the chipboard before the ink dried. After a few minutes of drying time for the ink I picked up the chipboard by the edges and tapped off the excess (do this gently so you don't know off all the flock!) and transfered the chipboard piece-now covered in flocking- to a scrap piece of paper and sprayed with the hairspray. Now you will want to hold the hairspray about 8 inches away- you don't want to glob a bunch (of hairspray) in one spot- and gently coat the piece. I usually do 2-3 coats (with drying time in between- about 1 min) and check for hold by tapping the piece on the paper to see if any falls off. Once I am happy with the hold I'm finished and my piece is ready for my LO.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the great tip! I love the look of glitter, but I hardly ever use it on my pages because it doesn't stay put & gets on everything. Now I will be able to stick it in place -- awesome!