Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Another Simple 2-Pager

Just like Sharon, I also like the KISS principle for two-page layouts. I'll often keep all the pictures the same size and the same direction (landscape or portrait). This month's layout is no exception. I used five photos, all 4x6 lined up in a row. I used the textured brown Worldwin paper to mat my photo block. The muted colors in the background papers help the photos stand out (and really, the Anna Griffin paper was just too lovely to cut!).

As for the design, I used Photoshop Elements to help me determine my photo placement. It's easy to create a blank page that's 12x24 and drag your photos around until you're happy. After I was happy with the design I was able to print out the pictures in two groups - already lined up.

You'll notice that I ordered the pictures to help lead the eye through the layout. When you look at something your eye tends to look right to left, and there are things you can do with your layouts to encourage this. In my layout I have lots of horizontal lines that help me do this. For example, the title at the bottom of the first photo grabs your attention as a starting point. And, the wall in the first picture acts like an arrow that leads you to the next photo, as does the walkway in the 2nd photo and the brick wall in the 3rd. Lastly, the brown matting around my photo block creates two strong horizontal lines as well.


2 comments:

SharonVM said...

Since I haven't been to the store for a while, I haven't seen the entire design wall yet, but now that I look through the posting on the blog, I notice that not only Deborah is a KISS follower but also Susie, Leah and Lisa follow these techniques. Susie's two pager and my are nearly identical in terms of design. Leah's 2-pager mirrors the design principles, with her focal photo on the left (which is espeically effective if the focal photo is strong and you really want the emphasis there). Likewise, Lisa harmonized her supporting photos on a matted collage - another great way to use multiple photos to support the focal photo which in her LO is the one of her boys as soldiers. Looking good ladies!!

Kathryn said...

I love this layout -- it is such a good way f showing photos from an outing or event when there is a time progression. Thanks for sharing!