Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Fall Guy

I mentioned in an earlier post that I "collected" techniques. This layout has a new one I had not tried before - one that shows both sides of a double sided cardstock.

I started with the placement of the print in the upper right corner. Using my paper piercer, I carefully marked where I wanted the picture to go...making the holes about 1/4" smaller than the 5x7 print. Using my exacto knife, I sliced an "X" connecting those holes. Instead of just folding the flaps back, I decided to roll them (over a pencil) to add dimension to the layout and reveal the pattern on the back of the cardstock at the same time. I used my ATG gun to lay down stripes of adhesive to hold the rolls in place. The picture was taped to the back.

Next I pulled out my Scrapboss from Fiskars and the sampler embossing template that came with it. The metallic-looking cardstock in our kit this month was very easy to emboss and I decided to make a pattern of falling leaves. I will confess that I originally had some ideas to enhance the leaves - but the Ranger Inks and the Stazon just disappeared into the cardstock! If you look at the bottom edge of the embossed strip you might notice a colored leaf peeking out from under the picture. I started to play with my Pearl-Ex powders - but I wasn't happy with the results I was getting, so I let it go. I decided the embossing alone was strong enough for this design.

I also cut letters out of the metallic cardstock - although if you look closely, you can see that the "A" is actually cut from metal (using Sizzix "Nouveau"dies). The letters were mounted on pieces of dark cardstock and accented with the cool leaf brads that came in our kit - I really liked the variety of finishes they came in -copper, pewter, brass. The rest of the title was cut with the Cricut "Jasmine" cart.

Notice the scalloped edges Kathryn mentioned in her post - they are fun, easy and add a subtle detail.

I snipped one of the journaling blocks into 2 pieces just for visual interest, and added the double layer of ribbons, pumpkin charm, and the cool scarecrow sticker. I'll add the actual journaling when the layout comes home - my 15 year old son deserves a little privacy!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Love those scalloped edges! The embossing turned out so well -- it really looks like metal! Awesome job with all of it.