Monday, January 3, 2011

Color Craziness!

The weekend after Thanksgiving, we bundled ourselves up and went to the ice skating rink at the National Sculpture Garden. It was bitterly cold, and the line was longer than we hoped. After a lot of waiting... and some time in the car warming up... we finally got to skate. We took a few photos and hit the ice. Later, when I downloaded the pictures, I thought to myself... what am I going to do with these pictures? Our coats are olive, mint, and coral! Any good scrapbooker should plan in advance to avoid this, right? :) And we are all wearing hot pink skating stickers too! Yikes! I tried changing the photos to black and white... but they are dark pictures and without the bright coat colors, there's not much to look at. So, I decided to just embrace the colors and work with them as best I could.

The Bo Bunny Midnight Frost collection is mostly blues and whites, but there is some burgundy and green in some of the patterned papers as well. I chose a blue paper with a little green tinge to it to back my photos. I pulled out the die cut paper and sliced it in half to squish it together and border the matted photos.


For my embellishments, I added some of the beautiful, green pleated ribbon from Mays Road that I found at ScrapbooksPlus and some of the new Jolie's silver and white doily stickers. I pulled out some old American Craft chipboard shape thickers that I got in a grab bag a while ago. The shapes were a really bright, florescent pink... but not the pink I needed to match the ice skating tickets, of course... so I decided to run them through my Xyron and cover them. I covered a bird and a frame with scraps of patterned paper. I used the frame to hold one of our skating tickets and the other ticket I used to cover the hearts I scattered around the page. Once they are run through, I trim them down with my craft knife or scissors, and then I use some of my Basic Grey precision file set to finish off the edges. Another option is to use sandpaper or an emery board. It's a easy way to clean up the edge and sand it all in one step!

thanks for stopping by!
erin

1 comment:

Robin Shakoor said...

Erin, I love how you incorporated the touches of pink in your design.