Sunday, September 27, 2009

Last Hurrah! of Summer

Have you ever been to a sea shell store? You know, those places along the beach that sell nothing but shells? If you are like me, you go into those places and buy all these shells and have no earthly idea what to do with them when you get home. We'll here's an idea...use them in your scrapbooking! Over spring break we traveled to the British Virgin Islands. My favorite spot was Anagada, a small flat island that is surrounding by a coral reef. It was remote and spectacular! I definitely wanted to make a mini album that captured all that beauty. When we were in St. Thomas, I had purchased this lion's paw shell at one of those shell shop places.

I had spotted on Two Peas how someone used the shell for a cover to a minibook, so I had to try it myself. The Anagada album seemed perfect. The hardest part was drilling those holes through the back of the shell for the rings. I had to reinforce my drilling with chip board strips and rubber cement because the shell itself wouldn't hold up.

Inside the shell, I used Basic Grey milk letters left over from my Beach book project (another project where I used a star fish). I embellished with left over strips of paper from My Mind's Eye and from Creative Imaginations embellishments.


The pages themselves were pieces of chipboard from my cat's wet food boxes (yes, I'm still saving those inserts!). I cut them out in the shape of the shell, painted them with acrylic paint, then covered them with My Mind's Eye Ohh La La paper. I made a template to cut the photos all identical to add consistency.
The finished project is on display at Scrapbooks-Plus. When we were in Key West for my birthday two weeks ago, I bought four more large flat shells to try my hand at making more of these cute little albums for Christmas. There is some terrific Heidi Swap island themed double sided paper at the store that will make beautiful minibooks for that last "Hurrah!" of summer.
And speaking of Hurrah! I designed the make and take for the Wednesday make-and-take with accompanying two-page layout this week. The project features Basic Grey's Indian Summer and gold leafing. One page is a single page Basic Grey design. I created the second page with the make and take. Come by the store this Wednesday early, because we're sure to sell out. The full layout is posted on my blog SharonVM.blogspot.com. Come check it out!

No comments: