Thursday, December 23, 2010

Celebrating Winter

A few years ago, Becky Higgins had a fabulous layout that I believe was titled "Seeing Red." It documented all of the red things that she brought out and enjoyed during the holiday season. Ever since that layout, I've put some effort into focusing on the little things that catch my eye and make me stop. And last winter, in the middle of blizzard number two, these icicles on my front door did just that.


I sanded the edge of my photo and matted it on Stripe-n-Scallop paper from the Traditions line from Fancy Pants. I carefully edge-punched it so that the edges matched up on either side. A second mat of the reverse of Finishing Touch brings out the red of the berries. I used the red Basic Grey letter stickers for "winter" and sprayed them with Glimmer Mist to tone them down a bit (I used Simply Khaki... but the new gold or silver would probably work just as well). I soaked them a little bit too much and if I had to do it again I'd just use some distress ink instead. This time around I had to add glue since the adhesive separated from all of the liquid. Oops! I tucked the ornament swirl from the glitter cuts transparency sheet under the edge of the mats so that only the flourish extended out. I hand traced "welcome" and added a little journaling frame to finish it off.

thanks for stopping by!
erin

No comments: