Sunday, May 2, 2010

Think outside the box!

This layout that I made for my daughter's first grade album was actually a first for me. I have never made an 8 1/2 x 11 layout, ever! When I started scrapbooking I only made 2 page layouts. Then I went through a phase of 8x8 pages and I am currently loving the 12x12 single page layout. When I saw this BoBunny Sophie's Notebook paper I just had to cut it down to the actual size of notebook paper, 8 1/2 x 11. I had lots of fun experimenting with this size layout.

I chose to embellish the page with flowers, buttons and a butterfly even though those things really don't have anything to do with the School theme. The reason it works is because the photos were taken outdoor, where flowers and butterflies both live. The colors in the paper and embellishments work really well with the photos with the end result being a pretty little page to slip in the album. If you think about it if I had used school days embellishments like an apple sticker and a teacher's desk die cut it would have looked awkward. The colors would have clashed and even though those items to relate to the theme they would not have worked.
So the next time you are in the store looking for embellishments for a certain theme, think outside the box! Look for items that are sort of "theme-less" like buttons, brads, chipboard etc. Often times these things can be the perfect addition to a layout. And, if you don't end up using them on that particular layout you will be able to use them on a page with a different theme. I would especially encourage you to keep a stash of items that can be altered to the specific color that best suits your photos/ layout. A good example would be chipboard. It can be inked, covered in paper, painted or misted to work with your color scheme. So the next time you are looking for embellishments for a layout and can't find exactly what you are looking for think outside the box and make your own embellishments.

1 comment:

Robin Shakoor said...

Very nice flower work.