Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tag Albums - from Scratch!

Remember how your mom could make cakes from scratch (I still can't get anything I try to bake from scratch to rise!). Well here's a different twist. Making mini albums from scratch, meaning not buying and using commercial bare/blank precut chipboard/acrylic albums, but instead make it from things you have around you.
This little tag album is just that. The chipboard cover and back are pieces of thin chipboard from my cat's wet food box (those little separator sheets that come between the cans of Fancy Feast cat food boxes.) After I cut them using a Sizzix tag die I recently purchased (Scrapbooks-Plus has a similar die for the Accu-cut that you can use), I painted them with brown acrylic paint. Once dry, I used crackle medium, then antique white acrylic paint to achieve that distressed look. After the entire thing was completely dry, I used a little matte varnish to seal it. All this paint is in my garage from the hundreds of craft projects I have engaged in over the years. All the "pages" - the interior tags - were cut using the same tag die from different leftovers of the double sided paper from Lily Bee. Once I got my photo mats and pictures on, the pages were quite sturdy. The only thing I purchased for this album was the ring at the top - but since I had that on hand from yet another project last Christmas,I really didn't have to buy anything. Everything used to make this were things that I had in my garage/storage room - with the exception of the paper and embellies that were in the DT kit!
So get creative this weekend...there are tons of things hanging around your house that you can use to make minibooks from scratch - wait to you see my project next month (it involves a HUGE seashell!).

Don't forget to go by Scrapbooks-Plus to pick up your Lily Bee papers.(When I was there on Tuesday, they were nearly sold out!). And don't forget the anniversary week celebrations. There is a new make and take EVERYDAY, with an accompanying layout you can purchase to incorporate your make and take and photos.

1 comment:

Skye said...

What a good idea! I find myself saving those things from packaging too, but I end up not knowing how to put them to use. Maybe I need to try a tag album :)