Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Focus on Titles


As scrapbookers, most of us are focused on highlighting our photos in our layouts. And we all know the importance of journaling on our layouts and in our books to capture the story behind our photos. But sometimes the title itself can be just as important, and as inspirational as wonderful photography and well crafted stories.
I remember a post that Susie made last year regarding her struggle to come up with the perfect title for her layouts. I find that I, too, struggle sometimes with titles. But other times, like in this layout the inspiration for the layout comes from the title.
This two-page layout was inspired by a tee shirt that had a similar phrase imprinted on it. I saw it for sale in one of those little shops at the beach and it reminded me of the fun my son and I had the day before wandering around with our dog, Maggie, at Smith Creek. The phrase would be a perfect title to capture those memories!
To create the effect I wanted, I needed different sizes, colors, and fonts for the words in the title. I used my Cricut to cut the smaller elements. ("Stamped" and "Opposites Attract" were the two cartridges I used). For the most important words like 'wander' and 'lost', I used the large Heidi Swapp foam letters, but any large alphas would have worked (I could have easily cut them on the cricut and popped them to give them dimension). To give the title the feel of the beach, I wrapped a few of the letters with raffia and added sea oats that I collected from the beach grasses growing at the shore (Zip Dry adhesive did a great job of holding them tightly in place).

There are a ton of alphas (large and small) for sale at Scrapbooks Plus to create the most amazing titles for your layouts and projects. And, inspiration and ideas can come from so many places - even a tee shirt shop.

No comments: