Thursday, August 20, 2009

Goin' Out on a Limb

In June I spotted some really cute Welcome Home signs at the Great American Scrapbook Convention. That's also where I picked up Rusty Pickle's giant chipboard bracket book. Although the book idea was cool, I knew that I wanted to pull the book apart and use it a bit differently. Eureka! Combining the two ideas together was perfect!







I used my ATG to adhere the Lily Bee papers on the the base. Then I flipped them over and used Fiskars little finger craft knife to cut the edge shape. A little sandpaper perfected and distressed the edges. Then I was ready to decorate. I used the Heidi Swapp foam letters and carefully colored the foam aroung the edges to make them stand out a bit more.



For the decorative elements, I used some Maya Road chipboard pieces. For the paper covered ones I just ran scraps of patterned paper through my Xyron and trimmed just like the sign base. The roof of the house is actually made from strips of paper cut with decorative edged scissors, overlapped and staggered until the piece was covered. A little Tim Holz Crackle finish paint was perfect for the branch. I wanted to add a chipboard tree, but it was too bulky... so I traced the chipboard shape onto patterned paper and cut it out instead. Now I have the tree shape, but not the bulk of the chipboard. A couple of paper flowers, a ribbon, and a hand-cut heart finish it off. I can't wait to find a place to hang it!

thanks for stopping by!
erin

No comments: