Monday, February 9, 2009

Vellum - Presto Chango!

I remember when I first started scrapbooking I was in love with vellum. I bought tons of it... plain, colored, patterned, embossed... you name it and I had some! Problem is, I didn't have a clue what to do with it. So it sat in my stash for ages. Last month I pulled it back out and used it on a couple of my holiday projects. How funny that Susie put some in our January kits too! I loved the way Deborah added the layers of vellum to her winter layout, and wanted to share another option.


I loved the green vellum in the kit, but was having a hard time incorporating it into my layout. The color was just a little off for the patterned paper that I added to the My Mind's Eye paper from the kit. No problem... since vellum is transluscent, I just needed to find the right paper to put behind it to alter the color slightly. The green vellum had just a bit of a blue tint to it, but I needed it to be more olive. I tested it out with different shades of cream and yellow cardstock until I found a shade of yellow cardstock to turn into what I needed. I used one of the My Mind's Eye journaling stamps and some brown Staz-On to stamp onto the green vellum. Then I ran a line of Zip Dry glue right on the back where the border was and adhered it to my cardstock. Once it was dry, I cut along the border, added my journaling with a Slick Writer from American Crafts, and placed it on my layout. Adding a few extra green accents make it look perfect!



Another note... and I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it... but it's really important to use either a wet glue or super sticky adhesive (like ATG or red-line tape) to adhere items onto the glittered My Mind's Eye paper. Anything else and it will just peel off!

thanks for stopping by!
erin

1 comment:

Kim said...

I definitely agree with you on the heavy paper - it needs some TOUGH adhesive or else it peels off.