Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fun With My Mind's Eye



These papers from My Mind's Eye's Laundry Line collection were so much fun to work with. For the double-page spread, I decided to tell the story of my friend's 40th birthday party in Memphis. I wanted to showcase not her only her party, but the gathering of friends who haven't seen each other in a long time. Of course, a trip to Memphis wouldn't be complete without a trip to Graceland, but rather than using the standard shot of Elvis's house, I selected a close-up of the graffiti wall out front. Fans pay tribute with a Sharpie, listing how much they miss the king, their favorite songs or how many times they've made the trek to Graceland. The shot I selected shows that this person has visited every year since 1995. Holeeee cow. Maybe they live right around the corner. :) For my journaling, I created tags and tucked them inside the photo pocket I created with the main image. I love this trick and use it a lot.

One of my Christmas presents was the Silhouette. Man oh man, talk about the coolest thing ever! I have a Mac but was able to hook it up and use Illustrator to create my title. And if I want to use the QK files, I just need to hook it up to my Windows laptop and I'll be good to go. This thing is small and mighty.



I had the pink pack, and with Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought I'd focus on me and my man. I cut the glitter stripped paper ("Lucky" in Laundry Line lingo) down to 11x11 and arranged eight squares in the center. Each square is approximately 3x3. I pulled my photos in Photoshop and added a texture layer along a color layer and a filter to get the effect I wanted. I'll post a tutorial over at my blog soon. Then I grabbed a bunch of stuff from my stash, including the Jenni Bowlin "adore" card, the Jenni Bowlin birds, a Maya Road chipboard house, a slide frame, some clips and crochet flowers and rub-ons (Those are both from My Mind's Eye). For the birds, I flipped one over, painted it white and added the Martha Stewart glitter I used in my previous layout. Then I added the pink glitter to the wing. I did the same thing for the house. The house flips open to reveal two rub-ons: "When We Love, We Grow" and some flowers. My "Reasons I Love You" card was too long for my box, so I trimmed it and punched along the bottom using the Threading Water punch from Fiskars. The square layout is great for using up the stash that's lurking around your scrappin' area.



Finally, we have a snowflake card. It, too, is covered in glitter and attached to the front of the card with red line tape. I punched the side with Stampin' Up!'s scallop punch so that the vellum would peak through. I folded the vellum and sewed it to the inside of the card. Then I added some beads for fun. I love, love, love this paper ("Curious" in Laundry Line lingo.) Just beautiful. BTW, check out the My Mind's Eye site to see the glitter really sparkle!

BTW, this is my last month with the design team. I'm back in school and need to focus on my classes. It's been great fun and will be popping by here to check out the wonderful work by the rest of the team. (Congrats to the new members!!) Feel free to drop me a line or ask me questions about my projects over at my blog.

:)

2 comments:

Lisa H said...

Love you work Nancy! We are going to miss you!

SharonVM said...

I miss you already - I love your linear design and the hidden pockets, tags and pull-outs in your work. And most of all, I love your photography. You have been an inspriation to all of us. You'll have to "guest" design every now and then with us this coming year! Miss you!