Monday, February 23, 2009

New to the Neighborhood!


Hi there!
My name is Loretta Cooper and I am one of the new members of the Scrapbook-Plus Design Team. Although I'm new to the team, I've been a compulsive Scrapbook-Plus Customer for years.

I am a storyteller and journalist by profession. So it makes sense that documenting and preserving my own family history is a personal passion.

I began scrapping just after our first child was born, but quickly realized that this was a generational undertaking. Both of my grandmothers kept scrapbooks and photo albums. My books are just the latest editions in an ongoing story.

In my grandmothers’ scrapbooks I find the minutia and details of their lives both fascinating and surprising. I try to keep this in mind as I create my own pages.
Sometimes I worry that this hobby is too self indulgent and sucks up too much of my time. And then I realized that this undertaking reaches both forward and backward in time. It provides a larger context for our understanding of ourselves and our families. I read my grandmother’s thoughts about my father as a child, and I suddenly see traces of my own children. I see my grandfather’s relentless entrepreneurial spirit, and I know where my drive comes from.

… and you thought this was just about paper and glue!

6 comments:

Jessica Middleton said...

Yayy! We were at 4th of July together at the Franks! Can't wait to see you and take a class.
Jess

Kim said...

Welcome, it was nice to meet you the other night.

matushka said...

What a great take on our hobby! Sometimes the journaling is the hardest. Perhaps you can help us out with that! :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you on board!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I am from a family of 9 children. My mother didn't have the time (or the energy) to keep scrapbooks or photo albums. In the past several years, though, I did give her a journal and asked her to write in it every day - whatever stories or memories she could share from her childhood or from mine. It is a treasure and I hope to one day create some scrapbook pages from it.

Thanks so much for bringing some of your pages to our first meeting the other night...your work is an inspiration. I can I can hardly wait to see what you come up with this month.

SharonVM said...

I enjoy the journalling and the family history captured by our craft. My great grandmother saved every post card and letter sheever received. Although she didn't scrapbook, that box a letters provides and precious window on the lives she led and the people who cared about her. I certainly hope my scrapbokks provide that same window. Welcome to the team. I look forward to your story telling and your ideas.