Thursday, February 19, 2009

All About Deborah Mahnken

Hi, I'm Deborah Mahnken and this is my second year on the design team. I've been scrapbooking since 2005, thanks to my two children. After I filled up their baby books I thought, "what's next?" I found scrapbooking and never looked back. You'll see my two children in most of my work (well, they're much more photogenic). I co-founded a challenge blog, Method Playground, to encourage people to take risks, try new techniques and have fun doing it.

Favorite scrapbook item? Just one? If I have to pick one thing it would be patterned paper. I can't get enough of it. Oh, wait. And my Dot n' Roller adhesive - I use it almost everything.

What type of designer are you? I think of myself as more linear, but I like to layer embellishments and paper. After taking Cathy Zielske's "Design Your Life" class this fall I've rediscovered cardstock.

Favorite thing to make? I find it easiest to make single-page layouts, but I enjoy making all kinds of projects.

Biggest challenge in scrapbooking? Altered projects - sometimes they don't end up as I envision.

If you wrote a book about scrapbooking what would the title be? Well, if you asked my husband he'd say "How to Own More Supplies than Your LSS" . . .

Favorite color? I'm fickle about color and what I like changes with the seasons. Since I'm yearning for spring I find myself reaching for greens right now. But I'm partial to orange, teal, and black.

Favorite scrapbooking snack? OK, I tend to be messy and clumsy so I try and keep food and drinks far away from my scrap area. If there's a glass around I'm likely to knock it over. Seriously. If I get the munchies I'll snack on almonds or something that doesn't leave crumbs.

Crop or At-home? I usually scrap at-home, mostly at night after my kids have gone to bed. I enjoy crops, though, and I'm hoping to get to attend them more now that my husband won't be traveling all the time.

Wish list? The top of my scrapbook wish list is a Nikon D90 camera. And more storage for my supplies.

Something I've always wanted to try? I want to learn how to crochet and make those cute flowers. I bought a book, needles and yarn but have yet to actually try it.

What do I listen to when scrapping? If the kids are around they've got Noggin or Star Wars on the t.v. in the background, otherwise I'll just put my iTunes on random - lots of 80's and 90's stuff with musicals thrown in. I just added a few old Duran Duran songs and the Mamma Mia soundtrack last week.

Blogs/Magazines? I like to read them all - Creating Keepsakes, Simple Scrapbooks, SB Etc., Scrapbook Trends and Memory Makers.

Scrap blogs I like: Method Playground, Ali Edwards, Cathy Zielske, and Tim Holtz.

4 comments:

matushka said...

I had to check out Method Playground... very cool! I love to collect techniques!

Kim said...

I will have to check out Method Playground, I am not sure why I haven't done that yet!

I am so with you on the blog thing, I love them all!

Lisa H said...

I can totally relate to your book title!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Method Playground is an inspiration! Because I am such a slow scrapper, I rarely get the pages done to submit on time for the prizes, but I always love what I come up with after I visit. I need to get cracking on the new challenge...using papers from 5 different manufacturers...it will help me clear out some of my stash! I am looking forward to working with you again this year!