Monday, January 26, 2009

Quick Tip: Make Your Own Glittered Brads

This month's kit included some fabulous Doodlebug glitter! The thing that sets Doodlebug's glitter apart from other manufacturers is the mix of colors in each color. The pink glitter really has a mix of pinks and iridescent glitter that gives it a lot of depth and interest.

I decided to take some of the hot pink brads and create glittered brads. All you will need is glitter, glossy accents or other clear dimensional glue, reverse action tweezers (ones that hold your item except for when you squeeze them), and glitter.



First choose your brads... use a colored brad that is close in color to your glitter to help hide any imperfections. Holding your brad with the tweezers, squeeze the Glossy Accents onto the brad to cover. It will be a little thick and that's okay.

Carefully dip the brad into the glitter. Turn and dip again to be sure to coat all the way around the edges. If your glue gets a little squished and looks lopsided, just gently press it back into shape.




Set the brad aside to dry. I sometimes use a piece of Styrofoam to hold the brads.... I couldn't find any, so I poked a few small holes in the paper on the top of my sewing thread. It worked perfectly!


Here they are in my finished project:

thanks for stopping by!

erin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip - and the brads look great.
BTW - where did you get the little calendar?

ncc

matushka said...

Hey Susie! Where'd you get those cute little calendars? :)

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I bought them online from a place called skybluepink.com - I actually had to order them in June to get 2009. They are sold out of calendars for this year. Sorry!

matushka said...

As another option for the little calendar, you can stamp your own. I have this set from Purple Onion Designs that is a perpetual calendar... so you're set from 2008 to 2025! Here is the link: http://www.purpleoniondesigns.com/newstamps.html