Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Journal

This year I decided to take a picture a day from December 1 through December 25. I wanted a mini album to chronicle everything I did this Christmas season -- both to remind me of what I did to prepare for the Holidays and also the fun events and parties that come around this time of year.

One thing I noticed about this book is that I didn't leave a ton of room for journaling -- it focused mainly on the pictures. And that's okay. But I thought that next year it might be fun to keep a journal of all the thoughts I have during this joyous season, so I created this mini album:


I started with this adorable Pink Paislee diecut sheet:


I loved that it looked like an ornament & I wanted the book to have the same shape when I opened it up, so I cut it in half:


Then I used a white gel pen to trace the shape onto a sheet of black chipboard and then cut it out:




After that was cut out, I glued the patterned paper to the cover with my ATG and inked the edges with Colorbox Chalk Ink in Dark Brown. Then I embellished it with some ribbon from ScrapbooksPlus and a stamp from Hero Arts:





On the inside I used number stamps from Autumn Leaves and journaling stamps from Art Warehouse to make a page for each day of December. I punched out a circle roughly the size of the numbers and placed it over the numbers as a mask while I was stamping the journaling lines to avoid getting any lines through my numbers:



When I was done with everything, I put it all together with my Bind-It-All. Once it comes down from the ScrapbooksPlus display wall in the classroom area, I will add it to my basket of mini albums and it will be ready to go for Christmas 2009! Now that's planning ahead!

4 comments:

peata said...

sweet mini.
love the bind it all

Kathryn said...

Thanks! I {heart} my BIA -- it's the perfect thing for a mini album addict like myself!

matushka said...

I love how you made the die-cut paper into the cover... very cute! Oh and where did you get the black chipboard? That's really cool!

Kathryn said...

I make sure I always have sheets of 12" x 12" chipboard in white, black and kraft on hand. I make tons of mini books, so the papers I plan to use for the project typically determine which color chipboard I will use.

I get my chipboard sheets online from Create for Less. You can buy bulk 12" x 12" chipboard cheaper than this from packing supply companies, but it is only the kraft color and usually you have to buy like 650 sheets of it. I like mini books, but not that much!