Thursday, April 3, 2008

The process (while standing and sitting)


Last week, Kathryn asked about our process, what do we do when we start a new project. For me,  it always starts by matching the photos to the paper. Then I'll grab some stamps and letters that I think might work along with rub-ons and embellishments. 

For last month's kit, I worked with Daisy Bucket's Playlist series. The greens and blues mixed with the circles brought to mind a bubbling sense of fun. That feeling you get right before you head off to a great destination. So while it was still cold and wet outside, I was indoors scrappin' our vacations to St. Thomas and Chincoteague, remembering the warm waters of the Caribbean and the sound of the surf as it hits the shore. 

(That project BTW, is totally responsible for this year's quick beach trip.)

Once I've decided what to scrap, I'll start playing with the layout, arranging the photos and type. I'll mentally add my stamping and start moving around various embellishments. If I have a limited amount of paper and I'm working on a two-page spread, I'll scan all my paper and photos and play around in Photoshop until I get a design that works. Then I'll go back to my paper layout and start cutting and pasting. I'll leaving spots for journaling and add that once I'm all done. What comes out is usually a bit different from what happens in Photoshop, but that's just fine. When all is said and done, I have two layouts completed on the same topic. Cool!

As for standing or sitting, I'm a combo of both. I'll stand while arranging and to get a good look at everything, but when I'm cutting or adhering, I'm sitting. Oftentimes, I end up with way too much stuff on my work table and will have to move things to the floor. Hence a big mess! When I'm finished, tho, I'll put everything back.

Overall, I'm a pretty slow scrapper and will often let projects sit on my work table overnight. If I'm feeling the same groove the next morning, then I'll start sticking stuff down.
 



3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wow! It's so interesting to hear how different each person's process is. It reminds me of how truly personal Scrapbooking is as a hobby or an art form.

Pamela Jane said...

Seeing your thoughtfully organized work space makes me envious. Although I love working right in front of a big window, my work space while in transition is needing a firm hand. I think it allows for more creativity when you're able to quickly access your supplies because you know where they are. :)

Kim said...

I wish I was more orderly. I never would have thought to use an editing program (but I guess that would mean I would have to learn to use one before I went there)! Your space is beautiful!