Thursday, April 3, 2008

are you standing up or sitting down?

This burning question has been featured on so many scrapping sites that it must qualify as a top-priority identity issue, like which side did your history books suggest won the Civil War. Do you stand or sit when you scrap? Do you favor the close-up perspective of sitting among your stash piles on either side of your ever-narrowing workspace, or do you get inspired by the bird's-eye view of standing tall above the fray?

Or maybe you are like me, up and down as the spirit moves me. When I'm concentrating, I'm usually sitting down, running my ATG gun like a madwoman, adding foam dots wherever I can, ruffling ribbon to hide inconvenient fold marks (although the ribbon iron is only a couple steps away), layering chipboard elements and painting edges . . . But before I get too layered and glued down, I have to stand up for perspective. I don't actually cross to the other side of the room, like I used to when painting my large works that I tacked up on the studio walls. But I still like to see how the parts work as a whole. Here is my current workspace in mufti as I start preparation for another class I'll teach in May.


Oh, and I also stand when the music simply allows no more sedate wriggling in the seat and demands a full-out dance routine. Right now it's my Putumayo collection featuring reggae, Afro pop, Latin and other world beats. It often defies sitting -- as the kids who are one of its target audiences already know.
.

7 comments:

Lisa H said...

I'm an up and down kind of girl. I think really it depends on my mood. I do know that when I first start anything I sit nad wait for the inspiration to hit me. Sometimes, I sit for awhile, other times I'm off and running. Today is one of those days where I have spent most of my time staring out the window!

Deborah Mahnken said...

I'm a sit-down girl. I just roll my chair back and forth from my computer desk to my work desk - which are right behind each other.

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I am a floor sitter. It is really silly because I have a nice big table to use...and I usually start there, but I almost always end up on the floor. I do stand up for perspective before I start taping and cutting...or to go get chocolate...

Earlier today I was cross-legged on the floor with all the papers from the new kit spread around me in a circle. Delightful! It is such nice heavy double sided paper this month. I am going to try an exploding box...and I may make another smash book as a card this month!

Kathryn said...

I pretty much work at my scrapdesk. I am an organizing nut, so everything i perfectly at hand from my rolling desk chair. And I always clean up one project before starting another. I feel like too much clutter distracts me & makes it hard to concentrate on being creative.

Kim said...

I definitely sit down but I have seen the islands where you can stand and I definitely think that would be an option for me one day.

matushka said...

I used to stand up and scrap at a peninsula in our kitchen... but the podiatrist had me reading articles about how women stand more than men and the balls of our feet get thinner and lessy cushion-y over time.... so now I sit to scrapbook. Before I glue I usually check out my piece from the other side of the desk (so I can peek at it upside down) ... it sounds strange, but many times I'll do that and make a change that really makes the layout work for me. I also will take off my glasses to take a peek and make sure that everything is balanced! Crazy, but true! :)

Pamela Jane said...

Not crazy at all, Erin, but standard art school procedure, where you do at least 3 things to help balance your composition: squint, so the details become less important than the shapes and weight; look at your composition from another angle (often upside-down) to again recognize shape and weight over details; and convert any color image to black and white for another level of scrutiny.