Saturday, August 13, 2011

Stand up Card Set and Card Box

I created this card file box with this month's Design Team kit.  It was a lot of fun to create!  The kit this month is really fun!  It has lots of images, stickers and 'card blocks' (my term for a cardstock page that is broken into individual blocks that you can use as one or cut into blocks).  I created dividers for each month so I could note the birthdays, anniversaries and other occasions I needed to remember.  This was the last project I created from my Design Team kit this month and I started looking at all the cool things I still had left and decided to make a set of cards.  One of my goals is to try to avoid having left overs of a kit once I've created my main projects so I typically make cards from the leftovers.  That helps me use what I have and create cards to have on hand at a moment's notice-- or add to my new box!

I had a friend give me a card that stands up on its own.  It is really simple but so unique.  Here's how you make them.  I created smaller scale cards for this but you could adjust the size quite easily.  Essentially this is a card with a diagonal line scored in the front.  Here's what my blank card looks like after I scored it.
I used a 3 1/2" by 8" piece of cardstock for each card.  Then I scored a center line at 4" and then a line diagonally on one side of the card- which will become the front.  Then fold on each line.  I decorated only the bottom right triangle of my front.  It makes it easier to fold the front and work only on the folded triangle so you don't adhere your decorative paper to the other triangle.  Then create a 1 to a 1 1/2" strip (this doesn't have to be exact- whatever scraps you have) and adhere it on the inside right side of the card, lengthwise.  I used foam tape to pop up my sentiment which makes the 'stand up' part easier but thicker cardstock would make the stand up effect work as well.

Here's a photo of a few of my finished cards.  I'd encourage you to use up your scraps when you complete your layouts with some simple cards!   

Enjoy!
Laura

1 comment:

Karen Bearse said...

Love it, love it!!! Beautiful box & great cards-this would make a fantastic gift!