Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Changing Gears

Anyone who knows me knows that I think that I love pink! I was having so much fun with this kit making pretty pink layouts with lovely greens and browns too. Those are the colors of my old studio and I find the combination ever so inspiring. But my son gets upset if my DT projects are all about his sister and don't feature him so I had to change gears from girly to grungy and I love the results.


I love the story behind this layout and it was definitely the inspiration for the layout. I added gears and metal brads to go along with theme of the workbench.

I painted the gears I had cut out of a thin cardstock with Pewter Glimmer glaze. If I had it to do over I would have cut the gears out of chipboard to give them more dimension.
When I had finished painting the gears with the Glaze I spattered some of the glaze onto the cardboard just behind where the gears would go. I immediately began to dry the glaze with my heat gun and it made this really cool bubbled effect which is great for a grungy layout.

I used a piece of a card board box and some corrugated lettering in the title to give a nod to the box in the story. I inked, misted, and spattered glaze onto the title tag.

I also ran a brown StazOn ink over the corrugated letters to give them more definition.

So glad I changed gears with this last layout. It was so much fun to make. I hope I've inspired you!



1 comment:

Karen Bearse said...

Grunge is fun! Love the gears, & the letters-i have been saving up Starbucks coffee cuffs just for this purpose!