Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rolled Ribbon Rose Tutorial


I have been having fun lately with ribbon and creating flowers of all kinds.  On my two page Design Team layout this month I used several rolled ribbon roses.  They are super simple to make and you can use any kind of ribbon that you have handy!  I used 1" width grosgrain for mine but you could use anything you choose. 
I first punched out a circle about the size of my completed flower.  The DT paper this month is Stella & Rose by My Mind's Eye.  It is really nice thick paper so I didn't need to use cardstock but you would want to choose something with a nice weight to it as your base. (I used a scallop but you could easily use a plain circle punch or even hand cut a circle as it won't be seen).  Then cover your circle with a super sticky tape.
   I used my Tim Holtz Mini-Attacher to staple my ribbon to the center of my circle which is where we'll start our rose.  (I folded my ribbon over but if you are using narrower ribbon you may not need to do this).  Now the fun starts!  Use one hand to slowly turn the circle and the other to twist your ribbon and lay it down on your sticky circle as shown below:
You can make this as tight or as loose as you want.  Whichever you choose will give you a different look for your flower.  I loosely twisted mine.  This takes more ribbon.  The amount of ribbon will vary depending on how tightly you twist and how large your completed rose is.

When you get to the outside of your circle, trim your ribbon and tape the loose end to the back of the circle.  I used a small piece of green ribbon folded loosely, stapled and then taped to the back of the circle for a leaf.  Here's how my roses look on my layout:


Have fun making your own roses!  I haven't tried it yet but you could take two ribbons and twist them together to create a really unique flower.  Give it a try!

No comments: