Wednesday, April 13, 2011

More Ribbon Fun

Hi!  Laura here with a few more ribbon techniques for you to try that I used on this month's Design Team projects!  I'm using 1" Satin ribbon for on my project but you could use these techniques with any width or type of ribbon.
The first technique is quick and easy...ribbon pleating with my secret weapon... a stapler!
Here's a photo so you can see my ribbon pleating in progress.  I added pleated ribbon to the bottom of my layout by using a sturdy piece of cardstock because I wanted to hide my staples-- although you could easily staple right on your project for a different look.  I folded the ribbon over on itself to create the first pleat, adding a staple with my Tim Holtz Mini Attacher (love, love, love the tiny staples!).  If you don't have this tool, you must add it to your stash!  They are located in the store in the tool area near the other Tim Holtz tools.  Then I created another pleat, stapled and kept repeating until my pleats were well, com-pleat (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun!).  I then glued my cardstock to the back of my project so the pleats peeked out from the bottom.  Super easy!  See bottom of post for a photo of the completed (I resisted the pun here) look!

On this same project, I used the same 1" Satin ribbon and made a gathered ribbon flower.  This is easy also but to create you'll have to dig out a needle and thread. 

I chose a matching color thread, tied a knot at one end of my thread and stitched a running stitch along one side of my ribbon.  I know, I can't sew straight or even stitches-- I'm a little embarrassed to show you my terrible stitching but this just demonstrates that anyone that can thread a needle can do this! 

Once you've stitched all the way through your ribbon piece (mine was about 14 inches), hold the end of the thread opposite your knot and start pushing your ribbon down to gather it by the knot. 


Then I held it in place and stitched a few stitches through the center of the flower to hold it together and then knotted my ribbon to tie it off.  You can then move it around to shape it how you want it.  You might also try taking a short cut and use wired ribbon.  This saves you from stitching-- just secure the wire on one end of your ribbon so you don't pull it out of the ribbon and start scrunching your ribbon down the ribbon on one side.  Once fully scrunched you can twist the two ends of the wire together to secure. 

And here's my completed layout with both ribbon techniques...
Get out your ribbon and have some fun!


1 comment:

Karen Bearse said...

Love the techniques-especially the flower~!