Sunday, August 12, 2012

Scrap Folders for Special Events

Not enough time to scrapbook all the pictures you want.  Scrap Folders may be jsut what you need.  I was excited to try this  new technique that I'd been reading about.  They are a lot like Scrapbooks except instead of many pages for a single event, you make a folder per event and include lots of places to store extra pictures and memorabilia.  I chose to make my first attempt with the Basic Grey Clippings line and pictures from last year’s family reunion.  I think it turned out pretty well.  And in addition, to what you see in the pictures, I have a photo album in a pocket, two files for extra stuff and a CD with all the pictures in a pocket. 

You start with a basic file folder -- like the ones you use for normal filing.  You can use one and decorate both sides.  I used two to make it a little sturdier and to allow me to use brads. (Although I didn’t end up using any.) When you use two, you make one the inside and one the outside and then glue together. 

I figured out how I wanted the inside of the folder to look and that I wanted two pockets – one for a photo CD and one to hold a small photo album and extra memorabilia.  When I had this figured out, I cut out the pieces of paper to fit the folders.  It is not necessary to do this exactly as you can trim afer gluing down.   On the bottom left side, I used two pieces of Novella, so that the pocket totally blends into the page.  For the right pocket (for a photo CD)  I cut out a design out of the Flannel Suit paper and turned it upside down. I stitched the two pockets to the paper..  (If you’re not into sewing, it would work just as well to attach the paper forming the pocket with RedScor Tape or other strong tape.)  Before covering the sides, I put a strip down the center with crease where needed for folder to fold.  Then I put the paper (with pockets on each side) and affixed a strip along the right edge.  I affixed all of these with a glue stick and a brayer.   I needed to trim some of the edges a little.  Also, I inked various pieces and edges of file folders with Fired Brick, Vintage Photo and Peeled Paint Distress Ink.

The  “Generations” you see in the photo is a small hoto album.  (I’ll blog on how to make it on the 14th.)  I used a large letter “K” to represent the family name.   I love these letters and you  get them in a few different colors at ScrapbooksPlus.  They add a lot and are very inexpensive.    

I used a variety of Clippings items to decorate the inside, the outside and the photo album, including Sticker Titles, Stickers Elements, Printed Chipboard and Alphas, and Garland.  Just get a pack of each and you’ll have plenty of embellishments for a few files.  (I cut the “2011” from the Typewriter paper with a small circle punch.)  I added a picture and mat to the plain black box on the CD pocket and using those great Clippings Alpha letters I added title.  The banner at the top is held on with Tim Holtz Muse Tokens.  

Then I covered the outside of the other folder using Gazette and Typewriter.   I knew from the beginning that I wanted to spell something with the letters from the 5th Avenue paper.  So I spelled “Family.” To make the letters a little more interesting.  After distressing the edges of each letter, I embossed the edges with Stampendous Aged Taupe Embossing Powder.   I “inked” the edges with VersaMark.  Like with inking I didn’t make it even, I simply rubbed the edges with the VersaMarc so it is thicker in some places than others.  I then sprinkled the edges with the embossing powder and heat embossed.  This embossing powder includes a variety of granules so it can create interesting textures.   (I just learned that with this embossing powder it is better if you heat from the bottom.   I just heated from the top as usual.  Try it both ways and see which you like best. ) I also used it to emboss the word “Photographs” on the cover.  I added a picture and some strips along the bottom.  To make it sturdier, I covered the outside with a couple of coats of Modge Podge. Then I added two large Tim Holtz Word Keys.  (Note: Because of the shape of folders, I used you see a good portion of the inside right across the top of the top when closed.)   

Once the outside and inside were done,  I fastened the two folders together along the outer edges.  As a result I have two large areas to store memorabilia, etc. I made two smaller file folders made from Drafting Table paper and the tabs from the Tim Holtz Sizzix On the Edge Folders to keep some additional photos or memorabilia.  You can see tabs in the photo. 

This is one of the most fun projects, I’ve done in a while.  I encourage you to try to make a Scrap Folder for some of your precious memories. 

No comments: