Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Vintage Paper - Modern Layout

When I picked up the kit this month, my first instinct was to use vintage photos. The soft blues and brown are perfect for them! As I was pulling out my copies of old photos, I pulled out an enlargement of me and my daughter one summer at Nathan's Dairy Bar in Manassas and set it to one side. As I was putting everything away, I noticed that the large stripe of Nolan II looked really nice with the photo... so I changed directions and started on a clean, modern layout.



This layout is very simple, but uses four patterns of the papers. The plain, white background cardstock keeps it simple and allows the papers and photos to shine. The main patterned papers used are the Nolan II stripe and the Tyler blue dot. I made paper buttons using the argyle side of Tyler and floral side of Nolan. I used some Jenni Bowlin chipboard buttons as a pattern to get the size and button holes placed perfectly. (I tried eyeballing it once, but ended up with crooked button holes!) I put eyelets in the button holes and mounted them with dimensional foam squares to give them some pop... literally! I added some ribbon and Thickers to finish it off.

A personal note on Thickers... if you see some that you like, buy them! Thickers are perfect for titles. They add texture without adding too much bulk to your layout. In a word, they are perfect! My favorite embellishment of all time! I buy them even when I have no planned layout for them. Why? Because each season, American Crafts comes out with new fonts, new colors, and new Thickers I have to have... and when they are gone, they are gone. So if you like them, it's a safe bet to grab them. You will use them eventually AND you may not be able to find them again. These Thickers I got quite some time ago... so long ago that the packaging has changed since then. Yikes! The brown are almost used up from other projects and the dark blue I thought would come in handy... but they didn't come out of the package until I saw with blue dot side of Tyler. You never know when you'll need them, but it's good to be prepared!

thanks for stopping by!
erin

No comments: