Saturday, November 7, 2009

Birds of a Feather

The papers in this month's DT kit featuring SEI Moravia were so rich and offered just so many options. I particularly like the flocked paper that I used in this layout. The vertical striped band across the top that serves as a mat for the photos is actually flocked, though you can't tell from this picture. I chose it because the vertical flocking accentuates the vertical trees in the background of the focal photo. Perhaps my favorite part of the layout is the pewter Prima bird and the title made with Thickers from American Crafts. The bird was not in the kit, but I couldn't resist buying them when they came in the store and they match this paper so well. (There are a number of them still for sale at Scrapbooks-Plus.)

The idea for the tail feathers for this little bird comes from a design by Nic Howard, one of my favorite designers. She used it in a layout she published earlier this year. Building on her concept, I cut the "feathers" from the same card stock that I used for the background. I simply folded the card stock in half and cut an arc from the folded edge. This technique is much like the way we use to make perfect hearts when we were in grammar school. Once I cut the "feathers" out, I unfolded them and sewed them along the fold with brown thread for a more eye-catching look, and then inked the edges with brown chalk-ink from Quick Quotes. I repeated the technique using patterned paper, folding it as I did the card stock and cutting smaller versions to fit in the top of each feather (I didn't sew these!). I adhered the pieces together with a small jeweled brad and glued them down using Zip Dry. I put the glue just on the fold so the feathers would sit up. The heart is cut free hand from K&Company patterned paper and the edges glittered with Martha Stewart Florentine Gold Fine Glitter. The epoxy stickers (there are three used here) are from the SEI Moravia line. The rub on is from the Basic Grey Wisteria line. Any flourish rub-on will work fine. And the feather is real. Zach and I found it on our recent trip to Skyline Drive (where all these pictures were taken)


When I finished the layout, I emailed Nic to show her my version of her bird. She loved it! She also informed me that she had created a similar bird in her design for the November Basic Grey Page-of-the-Month All About Me class. I can't wait to see it!

No comments: