Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grandma

The Ladies & Gents Framed Beauty paper was perfect for scrapping my grandmother’s high school graduation photo. Using some fun techniques I was able to make a special page.

One of the most fun was using Ranger Utee (ultra-thick embossing enamel) so that background paper shows through a picture. I used this technique to make the small frame on the paper look like a mirror. After scanning the photo, I reduced its size so it would fit in the frame cut out of the Framed Beauty paper and printed a black and white copy on regular typing paper. Using a glue stick, I glued the picture on top of the frame. I then applied VersaMark all over the picture and covered it with Utee. I embossed as usual with a heat gun. At this point, the surface was rough. Beginning with applying VersaMark, I repeated the process. Once I embossed it the 2nd time it was smooth. The technique works a little better with photos that have a lighter background and can be used to create fun pictures. For example, you could use paper with #s reflecting the child’s age behind a birthday picture or paper with words that describe someone’s personality behind a picture of them. It is really easy to do. Just follow the steps outlined above.

I glued the embossed frame to the background page. I cut out the design from the bottom corner of another piece of the Framed Beauty paper and glued it on top to provide a little dimension. (The corner of the Tea Time paper was used in the same way in the upper corner of the larger picture.) Adding Queen & Co self-adhesive Pearls over the top of the pearls on the frame added a bit of dimension.

I had trouble finding the right letters for my title but when I saw the Tim Holtz idea-ology Type Charms I knew they were the thing. Unfortunately, a set only has one “a” and I needed two. The solution – I used the charms but made my own letter inserts for the charms rather than using the ones that came in the set. I cut ½” circles out with my Cricut. A small punch would work equally well. I stamped the letters I needed on the circles with Black Soot Distress Ink and inked the edges. I glued the circles in the charms with Glossy Accents and put the plastic tops provided in the set. I used brads to attach them to the page. These charms are great and if the set has the letters you need it is even easier.

Stickers from the set were used to add her name to one of the Ladies & Gent’s journaling blocks. The pink was a little bright for the old fashioned look I wanted so I simply used alcohol inks to tone them down a bit and got a pearly finish to boot. Using the Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink Applicator, I applied drops of Pearl and Latte alcohol ink until I achieved the result I wanted.

The techniques I used on this page will work great for many projects. Just have fun and create new looks for you

3 comments:

Megan said...

Love this layout! What a great solution to your lettering problem. The reason I have never used those charms is that they come with only one of each letter. Problem solved!

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Esther said...

You were very clever to do the reflection that way. I like it.