Friday, August 8, 2008

Nice Girls . . .

.
I'm just back from CA and southern Oregon, and am hustling to catch up. So I thought I'd hurry to share my entries from last month's DT kit before we're full swing into this month's new kit.


In this two-page layout, featuring my beautiful granddaughters in their gymnastics leotards, I tried to develop a sense of movement across the page by cutting around the small circles of Crafter's Workshop Blueberry Pie to create a spilling, tumbling effect. Most of the area is one large section of circles, but I also used the leftover circles to overlap and tumble out of the main space, especially onto the second page. Using Berry Swirls, I cut a scalloped outline around the larger dotted circles to frame areas for the title and journaling. Before adding the words, I placed hand-cut purple and green leaf segments on the swirls to enliven the white spaces.

Because I had just the two photos to work with, I reprinted them and used a Martha Stewart square punch to cut the reprints into two reassembled mosaics that I framed for the lower left part of the page. This allowed me to repeat the deep colors of the leotards without competing with the focus on the main photos.


The capital letters in the title, the green spiky flowers and lower photo frames are all Sizzix die cuts. After I framed the lower photos, I used leftover frame pieces to suggest parts of a crown around the "Finish First" photos in the upper right. 

Don't forget to scroll down through the previous posts to find the July RAK Giveaway!  Leave your comment on that post to enter the drawing for Deborah's delightful cupcake album. Yum!!
.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love the unique shapes you used! So much to look at without looking too busy. Fun!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I think the mosaics you created with the duplicate photos are just brilliant!