Friday, August 8, 2008

Alphabet accordion book

.
For the July DT project, I decided the bright cheery colors with clean white backgrounds of the Crafter's Workshop papers were perfect for an alphabet mini-book. My DT kit contained the green sticker alphabet and the pink Thickers alphabet, lavender Bazzill cardstock, pink cardstock, and other lollipop-colored embellishments, so I had lots to work with. Armed with tag, circle, and corner punches and my trusty scalloped scissors, I went to work.


First I made the accordion pages using three 12"-wide sections of Strawberry Lace paper, adhered back to back, for a total of 6 pages.


Then I made several folded enclosures, like file folders and envelopes, to sew into the folds of the accordion pages. For each enclosure, I started with a 12" span of paper, either 6" high or higher, and folded the paper into an envelope or folder that matched on either side of the center fold.


For the file folders, I used Bazzill cardstock (because the color is double-sided) with a folded-up slot, trimmed it with scalloped paper, and secured it with eyelets and crochet thread.


For the envelopes, I used more Crafter's Workshop papers. With their cardstock weight and white reverse side, they held up well to the folding and sewing for the book.


Adding the sewn-in signatures to the three accordion folds increased the number of pages so I could include the entire alphabet.


Finally, I covered chipboard for the front and back covers and adhered these to the outside single pages, securing ribbon ties in between the page and cover. Each album page has its own alphabet letter plus simple embellishments, including tags, photo corners, circles, flowers, and ribbon. Wouldn't it be fun for a child to learn his alphabet by matching photos and found objects to each letter, adding them to the pages and pockets to come back and find again later?
.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

It's adorable! There is so much cute stuff going on with this book. I love all the texture.

Anonymous said...

Have you lookeda t the Photo accordion

see www.opusalbums.com/photoaccordion

peata said...

lots of surprises in this mini.

scrapbook-crazy - mini scrapbook blog
make a mini album