Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Scenic Route - More Than Just Summer!

When I first picked up the beautiful Grafton line of Scenic Route, I thought up some great summer layouts to make with it. I also thought that the James Street paper would be great for a kid's art page... the cute free-formed circles reminded me of finger painting! Don't limit yourself to just the obvious theme of the papers... they can definitely be used in many more ways!

As I was flipping through pics, I came across a couple of my daughter at the pumpkin patch last fall and realized that the colors were a perfect match. Plus they featured her painting a pumpkin... so those circles were going to work with my art theme too! I used the fun circles as the background, the dots on the back of Laxton Avenue as an accent, and the cool, sun-designed side of Maxwell Avenue to point right to the picture. Stratigically cutting the sun paper and lining up the rays with the photo give it a totally different feel. Some foam stamps with brown paint for the title and a few accents really focus the page on the photo. I didn't want to crowd the page so I used some of the brick-colored, flecked Chantilly Lace cardstock folded in half behind the photo for hidden journaling... just lift the little tag to see it!





I've been seeing a lot of pages in the scrapbooking magazines lately that only use patterned paper and no - or almost no - cardstock. It's easy for those types of pages to be a little busy and overwhelming. To make it work easily, use a large scale print, a small scale print, and tone-on-tone prints to even everything out. This page is all patterned paper, but since two of the patterned papers used are practically tone-on-tone it keeps the page from looking too busy.


Enjoy and thanks for looking!

erin

2 comments:

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

I saw this page at the store and was so surprised to see a fall layout - but the papers really are perfect for it! I love it...and it looks even better IRL!

nancy said...

Your photo worked perfectly with the paper! And I love that you went with a different theme that fit your photos and your mood.