Thursday, June 19, 2008

My "Negative" Reaction!

I saw Lisa's 2 page layout this month (see"Summer fun" which she posted on June 11th) and I had to laugh...I loved it, but I realized that the 2 page layout I had created was the negative of hers! Where she put papers (around the edges), I put pictures, and where she put pictures (nice strong block in the center) I put papers!
I actually need to give credit for this layout design to tomiannie from the Cricut message board...I scraplifted this from one she posted several months ago. I have used this idea a few times, because it lets me use lots of pictures but doesn't leave the layout looking too busy or crowded.

The polka dot papers from Scenic Route this month were really helpful in this layout, because it is a very consistent pattern. It was very easy to decide I was going to leave 2 rows of white polka dots on the green paper all around the edge, and then have a row of red circles from the next layer of paper, before I started laying down my pictures - and everything was even! I didn't need to take out a ruler once!

I ordered some of my prints as wallets, because that is the basic building block of this layout, but I also incorporated several larger pictures trimmed to the correct width...like this one on the right that I framed with the outline of the diecut arrow journaling block
which I ALSO used, as you can see in the picture to the left! It does take a bit of fiddling around to get the pictures to fit right, but you can fill in gaps with stickers (like the "gone surfing" one).

I can't emphasize enough how easy it was to use these papers...the colors and the patterns have such energy! The stickers make it easy to add a quick punch when needed.
AND...I loved the die cut journaling blocks...and even used the remnants/edges! In addition to the arrow in this layout, did you catch that the sun in this layout provided the outline edge for the sun in my one page "dream" layout below?
I am curious...how much time do you spend deciding upon the title for your layouts? I tried to be clever with a title for this layout, discarding at least 5 or 6 ideas before I ended up with stating the obvious, "the sign said No Diving!" How important is the title for you to be satisfied with your final layout?

5 comments:

matushka said...

I love the arrows in here... they are so fun! What a great way to use a bunch of pics.

Titles can be tough... I often come up with one title and find that my stickers are missing a key letter or that the size of the stikers/rubons is wrong for the space and end up having to change it up a little bit. If I can't decide, I'll just wait and set the layout to the side... I won't even glue anything down until I'm sure of the title and that it will fit on the page! :)

Lisa H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa H said...

I love your LO! I have such a hard time with titles- it sometimes takes me awhile to figure it out! This gets complicated when I have "finished" the LO and haven't left enough space- but I always seem to get it to work!

Anonymous said...

I don't spend too much time on my titles although I probably should. Usually it is my last thing to do. I save space for the title and stamp it. I would like to be more clever. Quotes from children (and adults) can make fun titles as long as they aren't too long. The things my four year old says are priceless. I should jot them down and use them. Thanks for the great blog and examples at the store. I love all the projects. The pail book is too cute. Beth

SharonVM said...

I stress over the title BIG TIME!!! Many times I have the title figured out before hand - like when I did a Disney layout to "remember" the day I lost my son on the DUMBO ride. I called it "When Elephants Fly" to remind me that it certainly will be when elephants fly that I let a child go on a ride by himself again! But most times I leave some space on the page to come back later and figure out some clever wording for the title.