Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gallon, Quart & Ounce

So you've got your photos and picked out the paper you'd like to use. But how do you put it all together? There are some good rule of thumbs out there to help you.

I'm going to focus on the "gallon, quart, ounce" rule. This rule refers to mixing colors in a layout. What it means is that your primary color -- the "gallon" -- should be around 70% of your layout; your secondary color should be around 20% -- the quart; and your accent color -- the ounce -- should be around 10%.

Now this can be in any combination of cardstock, patterned paper, or embellishments and none of them have to be solid colors. For example, in my layout gray is the dominant color -- or the "gallon." My background is grey and the patterned paper has lots of grey in it. Even my photos are black and white (but that doesn't usually count). My "quart" color is the pink color in the flowers, the ribbon, the patterned paper mat, and the tag. Finally, I have a smidgen of black as my accent -- the "ounce."




If you'd like to read a bit more on color theory, check out this color theory tutorial by Color Worqz. It goes

1 comment: