Sunday, November 23, 2008

What to do with those 8x10's?

This is my daughter's first year in school... so this was our first year to have the difficult time of trying to decide what school portrait package to buy. It seemed like the choices were limited to a few wallets that came with some of those teeny, tiny half-wallet sized photos... or else a better number of wallets that came with bigger pics and an 8x10. I don't really have a space to display an 8x10 so I thought I would create a layout that I can duplicate easily each year to showcase it instead. I "interviewed" my daughter the first week of school and the questions and answers will go in the white block I left for journaling. I hope to ask the same questions... perhaps with a few variations... each year!


The American Crafts papers with their bright colors and clean lines are perfect for a school-themed page. I used some of the stars as my accent pieces. To give them a "puffy" look first I cut out the stars loosely and glued them to several extra layers of cardstock. Then I carefully trimmed all the layers at once and used temporary adhesive to hold them onto my craft mat. I added a layer of Glossy Accents and let it dry. Then I added 2 more coats of the Glossy Accents and mounted them on Pop Dots.

Thanks for stopping by!
erin

PS. Whenever I have a 2 page spread, I like to have something "cross the ditch" to connect the two pages. Getting things perfectly lined up can be a pain sometimes, so I use blue painter's tape to hold the cardstock down and in place while I line up the crossing pieces. Just be sure not to press too hard and peel it off carefully, especially with delicate or white core papers.



Another option is to run a couple of lines of repositionable adhesive across your worktop and stick the base of your layout right on top. When you're done, the pages will peel right off and you can use an eraser to remove the adhesive from the desk or table.

2 comments:

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

What a great idea! Sadly, I have 3 older kids and several years of those 8x10s sitting in a box...and it is too late to ask the questions!

The painter's tape is also a nice tip for "jumping the ditch". tfs!

Kathryn said...

Cool idea for using painter's tape!