Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01


Ten years ago today our nation suffered an attack on our own soil that shook us to our core. The sense of peace we all held before that day is gone forever. Although the attacks were intended to pull us a part we came together as a nation in a way I have never seen before in my lifetime.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I'm sure we all do. While I remember the darkness of the attacks I remember more profoundly the LOVE that poured through our country. The flags that lined the streets on houses, cars and buildings showed our love for this great nation. The kindness among stranger showed that we had come together.



We never know how much time we have or when tragedy will strike. We are doing such a good thing by preserving our memories and our lives through scrapbooking. Almost a year ago now I had a minor surgery that led to major complications. I nearly lost my life. In the sobering days and weeks that followed I realized how much I would be missing if I had not pulled through. I also realized how much I would have left behind for those I love. My scrapbook pages tell my story. There are lessons in there I want to teach my kids when they are older. They can read my journaling and know how precious they really are to me and my husband to know how much I adore him. What a wonderful gift it is to scrapbook.

At church last night the priest talked a lot about the attacks of 9/11/01. In the car on the way home I had lots of questions to answer for my children. I realized they never would have known that their grandfather was supposed to be in the Pentagon that day. Or that I waited all day to find out if he would come home, if he would walk me down the aisle 3 weeks later. They wouldn't have known that his meeting changed at the last minute and it took him all day to get home and when he walked in the door how we all cried. So they would know about this day in my life I got up early this morning and made this layout about 9/11. I know this is a sad blog post and personal too. I just didn't feel right about posting about my daughter's school days layout on such an important day in our history. Life isn't always lighthearted and in my scrapbooks I want to capture life, all of it. Even in tragedy there is goodness and that was never more clear to me than after 9/11/01. God bless all those who were lost and the loved ones they left behind.

Where were you on 9/11/01? Have you scrapped it?


No comments: