Thursday, February 3, 2011


Hi, I'm Deborah Mahnken, and I'm thrilled to be back on the ScrapbooksPlus design team.

I've been scrapbooking since 2004 - mostly of my two children - and this is my fourth year on the design team.

My style tends to be more on the simple/graphic side, or at least I start off that way before I layers and dimensional embellishments. This layout is a good example of my style - more graphic, handwritten journaling, a bunch of embellishment in a cluster, yet balanced. I used photos taken with my iPhone and the Hipstamatic app. The greens in my photos really matched well with the paper.

Tags are one of my favorite things to make these days, along with one-page layouts and mini-books. Recently I've done a couple of books where you make one page each day of the month - of whatever you have on hand. It's a great way to experiment and use of lots of odds and ends. I find cards the most challenging thing to make. I've also been wanting to try an art journal.

My favorite products? I am a huge Tim Holtz fan. I love his inks, his stamps, his die cuts and the new Vagabond (my new best friend!). I always love new paper and have a hard time passing up Halloween collections. I have a long wish list right now - I just got back from CHA where I got to preview all the new products coming out this spring. But right on top are Tim Holtz's new Distress Stains and glacine paper.

I'm more of a scrap-at-home gal, but I really have a good time at crops. I'm just bad at pre-printing photos and putting together kits so that I have what I need. I try not to snack while I scrap, but I always have a glass of water in reach. When I scrap I'll often just set iTunes to shuffle everything around, including Paramore, P!nk, and any song from Glee. I like to browse most of the scrap magazines, but Scrapbook Trends is my favorite. As far as blogs, I regularly check out Scrapscene, Tim Holtz, Write Click Scrapbook, and Little Birdie Secrets.

No comments: