Friday, May 2, 2008

Crackle Paint

I had picked up some of Tim Holtz's crackle paint and wanted to use it for this month's projects. I thought it would fit in with the distressed look of the My Mind's Eye paper.

So, I took one of these chipboard tags by K&Company, cut it in half, and lightly inked the edges with a sponge and some Distress Ink to bring out all the dots around the edges. Then I coated the interior of the tag with the crackle paint. What I really like about this paint is that it comes with it's own brush, attached to the lid. No cleaning brushes!!

And here's what it looks like after it dries. The thicker your paint is the more crackles you'll get. Double-click the picture to see it larger.

And here's a picture of the finished layout:

2 comments:

matushka said...

What I've found with the crackle paint... when it says to put it on heavy to get bigger cracks, it really means put it on very, very heavy. Putting on a somewhat heavy coat or what you might brush on with regular paint will give you teeny tiny cracks and not what you are looking for. Once I got that effect a couple of times, I learned to just slop it on! :)

SharonVM said...

Deborah, I still can't get over your handcut title - I love it, so I want to borrow the template (I have circus pics from last fall that need cropping.)

I have used crackle paint in my wood working projects, but not in scrapbooking. Heavy application is required for a heavy, deep crackling look. If your using heavy application in scrapbooking, my guess it chipboard is the best bet for the surface to use it on. (propbably not cardstock). I may try it this month!!