Saturday, July 14, 2012

Scrapping of Old Travel Photos

When I saw the travel theme,  I decided it was time to start scrapping the old travel photos.  We so often scrap our recent photos but to preserve our family history it is important to get those historical photos (and the stories) on paper.   I pulled out photos from a trip my sister and I took to Hong Kong in 1987.  With old photos, you don’t have all the options of digitally modifying, which makes it more challenging.  My photos also weren’t that good.  I had lots of photos of Hong Kong, but I remembered only what a few of them were and most of them didn’t have people. 

But I did remember lots of things about this trip that I wanted to tell so I designed almost half a page for journaling.  For this, I used a piece of the Tour that was decorated on one edge and light on the other.  I used a handwriting font that is included in Microsoft Office and Publisher to space it exactly as I wanted.  The paper is fabulous and really needs little added to make your page great. One thing I loved about this paper is that on the reverse of the paper label is a unique strip.  I cut these out and used several on the page.  I used a little Black Soot and Fired Brick Distress Ink to cover edges I cut.  To accent the pictures I used the Martha Stewart photo corner punch.  (I borrowed a friend’s when I saw her using it.   I loved it and so it is at the top of my wish list.)

This set has lots of little tags, ephemera (suitcases, cameras, planes, passports, globes, etc.) and stickers.  Once I had the basic layout, I added a few more decorations.  A lot of the tags have space for journaling.   These are generic enough that they can work for any place, but there are also some that may be specific to your layout.  There are a lot of sayings.  The background paper had a stamp from Hong Kong 2007, so I just crossed out 2007 and made it 1987.

I loved working with this line.  It has everything you need to make great travel pages no matter where or when you visited.

1 comment:

Kate Sullivan said...

Kathy, This is fabulous! I can use it as an example for many things.