Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Belgium


I'm often asked how I come up with my designs, where I get ideas, etc. One of the ways I'm inspired is through sketches. Every Saturday Kaisercraft provides a sketch. For the layout below I used the Kaisercraft June #1 Saturday Sketch is based on Shelly Gioffre’s “Wish You Were Here” layout. This sketch challenged me to try new techniques, as well as gave me the opportunity to use a number of different punches, embellishments and lots of Check In paper! What a fun sketch – I had a great time interpreting it in my own way.


Here is my take on the sketch! My layouts typically feature a number of layers. I learned a trick a few years ago to help conserve paper as this allows me to use multiple layers with less paper, and also if I only have one sheet of a patterned paper I like I can use it on more than one layout. From the first layout (i.e., the 12x12 background sheet) I cut a 10x10 square from the center as I had already decided to layer an 11x11 sheet on top. Instead of using the an entire 12x12 – only to layer multiple pieces of paper on top – I used only the 12x12 perimeter, saving the remaining 10x10 square for use on another layout.


I had a lot of fun adding the pearls along the bottom of my layout. I’ve seen others that include rope or ribbon and they always look awesome. This is the first time I’ve ever attempted this technique on my layout. It’s a great way to add extra detail with very little cost. I’d encourage anyone to give this a try – it’s super easy!

 
Paper
Kaisercraft – check in

Embellishments
Kaisercraft – collectables & stickers
Prima – flowers
Wilton – doilies
Offray – ribbon
Celebrate It – pearls
Tim Holtz – safety pin

Thanks for looking!
Erica

No comments: