Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holiday Card

This month’s Year-o-graphy papers are so easy to use.  They provide you the opportunity to scrap life’s events with only a little effort.  Because they have designs to celebrate your life pre-printed on the paper, you can make cards and scrapbook pages by just cutting them out or you can do what I did and use their designs but add some of  your own scrapping ideas. 

For example, the paper includes a set of 6" x 4" rectangles, one of which has a Christmas tree and a little tab that says Happy Holidays.  You could simply cut out the rectangle and affix it to cardstock and you have a Chrismas card.

I used their ideas and basic shapes but added some of my own pizzazz. 
I cut out the tree, star and tab from the Christmas rectangle.   (You can cut straight through the ornaments as they will be covered by eyelets.)  Affix the tree to a 6”x 4” rectangle of the Red Mine Calendar paper.  Distress edges and ink with Forest Moss Distress Ink.  For the ornaments, I used American Craft Elements medium gold eyelets.  If you are more of a bling person you can use jewels for the ornaments.  Tiny buttons would be really cute as well.  The tree could also be used as an embellishment on scrapbook page and you could add bling, eyelets or brads to match the colors in your pictures. 

Once the tree is decorated (and this might be the only tree I decorate this year), affix the rectangle to the card.  I made my card out of Green/Notebook.  To make it a little more unique, I stamped the front of the card using stamps from two different Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous Christmas sets and Fired Brick Distress Ink.  I used a the Christmas carol from the Holiday Wishes set and the writing from  the Letter to Santa set.  I affixed the star and the tab I cut out to the card.  Inside I stamped “Happy Holidays” using message from the Holiday Wishes set.   

With just a little work, you have a handcrafted holiday card. 

The set includes a wide variety of designs, holiday messages, everyday messages and stickers that allow you to use this same approach to make cards for every season or scrapbook pages.  This is the approach that I used for all my scrapbook pages this month.  I made a 2-page layout the documents my schedule while I was in France, a Christmas page and an everyday page about a visit to Georgetown Cupcake.  In my subsequent blogs, I’ll share the tips for these pages.  If you want to get caught up on your scrapbooking, I’d suggest you get to Scrapbooks Plus and get your Simple Stories Year-o-graphy products.