Saturday, March 29, 2008

Take a Peek at My First "Squash Book"!


I had pulled out a lot of beach pictures when I was doing my pages and projects with the kit from this month and I really loved the beach themed papers from Reminisce and wanted to play some more!
I was very excited when my Scor-pal came in and I decided to use up some of the last bits of my kit to make a squash book. This is the cover... I used the lighthouse journaling block label and added a title with a mix of the letters...and some Mrs. Grossman seagull stickers. I tried a card stock "belly band" first, but I just didn't like the look as it covered up too much, so it occured to me to try one made out of vellum. I added a seagull sticker on the belly band and loved the effect. Here is the back of the book...

...decorated with some of the paper that looked like sky and some more seagull stickers. The words on the belly band are a sticker from my stash...beach themed of course!
I decided to decorate both sides of the book with pictures and papers. They are cut to 3.75" squares... and then divided into triangles if necessary.
It was fun playing around with the pictures to see which ones worked best when cut diagonally...I succeeded in not cutting anybody's face in half!
And it was easy to title or caption the pictures by cutting some of the words out of the patterned paper...vacation, shell hunting, sand between my toes, water's edge, walking on the beach...there really was something to suit every photo.

This is a perfect project to use up bits and pieces because the dimensions of each panel are only 4" x 4". I set up plenty of panels for journaling using some of the more plain patterend paper. Some of the wilder designs (like the flip flops or the words) added a fun accent.
Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!

5 comments:

Kim said...

Very cute! I love that you used stuff from your stash. I had never heard of a scor-pal - I will have to check it out!

Lisa H said...

so cute!

nancy said...

What fun! The pictures are great and it looks like you had a blast. :)

Deborah Mahnken said...

How cool! I've always wanted to try one of these. And I'm also interested in the scor-pal :)

Kelly Keating-Caraway said...

I have been thinking about doing a "squash book" for awhile, seeing your beach themed one has motivated me. Great job!